July 6, 2012

The Difference

            Here's something I've been thinking about lately: the difference between "going the extra mile" and "bending over backwards." In my opinion the difference between the two couldn't be more opposite. To go the extra mile means that you're eager to exceed expectations. To bend over backwards means you're willing to put yourself in a position of discomfort to please somebody. I would go the extra mile for someone any day of the week, however, I would not be caught dead bending over backwards for someone. I don't care if we're talking about the president or a homeless man- I will not put myself in a position that would deem me "less than." I get heated when I see someone treating a person in a way that screams entitelement. We're all people and it makes no sense for someone to "bend over backwards" for the sake of someone else.

And, as Mr. Dan pointed out, you cannot make someone go the extra mile. It has to be done genuinely from the heart. "When your boss wants you to go the extra mile, what he/she really wants is for you to bend over backwards."