November 6, 2012

Scott Jurek

Just a picture of my fake husband, nothing out of the usual.

I'm in love, capital L-O-V-E with Scott Jurek, or as I like to call him- Scotty (cause we're on a personal basis). Is the love mutual? Probably not. Okay, he doesn't even know who I am. But heck, this just sounds like a typical high school relationship where the girl is googly-eyed over the boy and the boy accidenly calls her "Stacey" one too many times. "My name has always been Jen," she'll reply and the relationship will end. Two weeks later the pattern will repeat itself. Has this happened to me personally as well? I won't say.

Anyways, back to Scott, er... Scotty. Jurek is an ultramarathoner and seven time winner of the Western States 100. He ran 164 miles within a 24 hour period. This guy is a machine. He's absolutely wild and vegan. I admire him immensely. I mean look at those curly locks! The best part about Jurek is that he flat out lagged in high school. We're talking about getting first place for finishing in last place consistently. I know what you're thinking: at least he was consistent. I'm thinking the same thing. But get this, out of nowhere he just ups and wins a race. And he gets consistent at that too. Jurek's the very essence of never giving up. He always came to practice, being last didn't keep him off the field. Perhaps my favorite thing about him is that he's humble. He doesn't brag and he doesn't sell out. He pops up out of nowhere, blazes his competitors, and simply goes back home. No one knows where, when, or even if he'll show up. No one tops Scott Jurek. He's a class all his own. Definitely inspirational.

P.S. His book Eat and Run came out last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment