May 14, 2013

Marathon Progress

Okay Everybody,

Today was a special run. I had a feeling it would be. I can't really put my finger on why is was more special than any other run, but something about today had my legs begging for the pavement. I decided to go sans music today so that I could concentrate on my footwork and steady my breathing. My foot strikes were much louder than I estimate they should be. So I played a little game to keep myself occupied, I ran as quietly as I could. As quiet as a mouse! Hearing my labored breathing was intriguing too. By listening to my breath I was able to determine a steady pace without glancing at my watch a single time. I passed a walker around .75 and was completely taken back by how clear, smooth, and labor free my greeting was. You would think I was sitting on the couch! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, God has a great sense of humor. At mile 1.25 I ran into another runner and her pace was almost identical to mine. And since my little game began to bore me we were able to start a conversation. NOT TAKING MUSIC ON TODAY'S RUN IS ONE OF THE SMARTEST THINGS I MAY HAVE EVER DONE. The runner's name was (and I'm sure still is) Michelle and she gave me great advice in terms of hitting the inevitable wall, eating a salty snack, having a running parter help out, and timing adequately. Michelle mentioned that she was turning 47 this weekend and I told her she was hot! And she was! I wouldn't have guessed her to be older than 30. She's run 6 marathons and qualified for Boston 4 times. She also informed me that after her first marathon she ended up getting depressed (something I've never heard of); she says that your mind and body crave the run after such a long distance. Michelle and I split after 1.5 steady miles.

The marathon is 32 days away. Holy cow. My legs are tired. But that's not what worries me. What worries me is the mental aspect of the sport. Even during today's 7.5 miles I've had to push through the temptation to stop. Doubt seeps in with such ease that I find myself discourage that my mind isn't stronger. You'd think that after all this mileage I'd feel more prepared and confident. And I do feel confident, I'm going to make this happen. The marathon is most definitely run with the mind more than the body. My legs are achy and I can't seem to refresh them fully. But that's alright, they'll rest after the big day. Pain is uncomfortable, I don't think people "get used" to it; but we most definitely become more tolerant. When I stop dealing with pain I better start worrying because if pain doesn't occupy my mind, then surely excuses will. And we all know that excuses and results seldom entertain each other.

I can't wait for this marathon. It's personal. I'm begging to know: what am I running for? Or from?

Sorry for the long post, and even longer hiatus.
Have a good day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment